Thursday, May 6, 2010

Teaching and Researching - not necessarily better together

I've written before about the problems I see with lumping teaching and researching into the job description of all college level professors. I know some professors can make it work, but I think many students lose and many scientists lose because excellent teachers must also spend significant time on research, and excellent researchers must also teach.

So, of course I was pleased to find this Nature article that mirrors my opinion. Of course I'm not pleased that research funding is highly likely to decrease. But I do think the article is correct that newer faculty at undergraduate institutions are suffering when saddled with a research load in addition to their heavy teaching load. And their students may suffer, too, if the professors in question can't work 80 hours a week. (Or even if they can.)

No comments:

Post a Comment